Sunday, April 25, 2010

First Post

I am a young and coming journalist (hopefully) that would like to make himself known to the world. To do just that, I have made this blog. I hope to have many followers (and to work hard for them) and to post material that is interesting. I know work will be involved and a lot of it but I am prepared to do so. Even though I may be 12, I am not going to let age interfere with my posts. Today, I introduce, the writings of Soren Olson to the public and hope for the best.


I have been interested in writing a book and need some pointers. I want to try something different from the tales of teenage vampire dramas and children who have a secret callings, but try something that the normal person can relate to and will be interested in hearing my words. I would really appreciate some ideas for this.


I hope to gather valuable lessons form this blog. This blog is basically my experiment to test my writing skill and to see if can do this as a job and earn money for it. I really don’t know what to write or for whom to write for but I just want to show the world I can do something without the help of a program. I hope I can be interesting enough that people want to read this blog just because I wrote it but I don’t plan on getting that easily.

I have recently taken a liking to Henna tattoos and I am interested in trying to make my own. I was wondering if anyone had advise for how to make them and skills that I should learn.

I have always wanted to write my own newspaper. I started one at my elementary school by writing a petition. I got something near 100 names on that list. I don’t think the school knew what I really wanted to do. When they started writing a newspaper for all the kids, they didn’t let us write it. Since the experience, I have decided to do an underground newspaper at my middle school. This paper would be written by the students and would be online. We would probably have a different paper every 2 months. I need people that are good artists, people that are willing to go out and write about stuff they think is interesting, and people that just want to be in a newspaper (I need the morale). There is one thing that I would prefer to keep out of this paper such as … anything that can emotionally devastate some one (I actually want people be to read it!)

I feel some what like a slave under my parents rule. The are “highly” encouraging me to keep writing and are poking me to do so.

THE INMAN TIMES!!!

At the moment, I am just wishing that my parents don’t actually post this for me or it will be a disaster. IT’S TOO RANDOM!!!!


6 comments:

  1. Do it! Writers write. Movers make things move. Shakers shake. You see the pattern.

    I wrote for an underground paper in college. It was totally awesome. It was called "The Yo!" and the editor/publisher/main writer (my friend) sold it door to door for 25 cents a copy. It came out every two weeks. We printed it on colored paper and folded it in half like a sacrament meeting program. I wrote some genius stuff for it. It made me a better writer. Now my job pays me to write. It's a great world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soren, I think this blog and an underground newspaper are FANTASTIC ideas! I am so glad you want to write something that is relatable to other people; I still have a problem remembering to write for others instead of for just myself. The best way to get better at writing, besides reading, IS writing. Awesome, you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soren, I did a lot of research about making henna paste and tattoos (called Menhdi in India) for my brother's wedding. My interest is in traditional Indian designs. So I can help you with that project. Here's a few places to start:

    http://www.hennapage.com/
    http://www.rupalpinto.com/mehndi/mehndi.html

    Also, a henna artist that I know, who is starting henna therapy for cancer patients. (Teaching their family/friends how to do henna designs on their heads.)

    http://www.akiyohenna.com/

    I'm glad that your parents are "highly" encouraging you to write this blog, and that they posted it. You are already a great writer, I look forward to seeing you get even better! Your parents are pretty cool people, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Soren! As far as writing advice goes, some of the best I've heard was from a webcomic and now normal comic author Scott Clevinger. For his humorous writings, he sits down and thinks, "What would be funny?" and then writes that. I think it is a good idea to start by thinking, "What would be [awesome, exciting, scary, cool, meaningful, wonderful, beautiful, dramatic, fun]?"
    Also, think back to your own life. I try not to look too much to other media for inspiration, 'cause someone's already done it. But when I look to my own life for inspiration, then it is more likely to be something worth telling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing your voice in your writing. You definitely have an audience in upstate NY who'll love to read everything you write.

    ReplyDelete